- Nutrition” is a process of intake as well as utilization of nutrients by an organism. It is the process of breakdown of nutrients into smaller molecules and their absorption.
- Food provides us nutrition and energy. It contains different types of nutrients in varying amounts according to the need of our body.
- These are the substances required by our body for its growth, repair, work and maintenance of the body. Different types of nutrients are carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, mineral etc
- Our daily energy need may vary according to our occupation, age, sex and under some specific conditions.
Modes of Nutrition
There are several modes of nutrition on the basis of which organisms are classified as follows:
- Autotrophs are further categorized as :
- Photoautotroph : Those which utilize sunlight for preparing their food
- Chemoautotroph : Those which utilize chemical energy for preparing their food.
- Heterotrophic :(Hetero = different ; trophic = food) It is a mode of nutrition in which organisms derive their food from some other animals or plants. They cannot prepare their own food e.g. human being. Heterotrophs are further categorized depending on the nature of food they consume :
- Herbivores : Animals which eat only plants, e.g. Cow, goat etc.
- Carnivores : They feed on flesh of other animals, e.g. Lion, vulture etc.
- Omnivores : T hey feed on plants and animals both e.g. Dog, human etc.
- Detritivores : Feed on detritus or dead organic remains, e.g. Earthworm etc.
Ab Padhega India
#AbPadhegaIndia – An initiative to help all the Class X Students get access to Quality Education for FREE.