National Talent Search Examination (NTSE) is a national-level scholarship program in India. It’s an attempt to recognize and tap into students’ potential. Organized by a government body viz. National Council of Educational Research & Training (NCERT), it’s considered to be one of the most prestigious exams.
Sample Questions for Mental Ability Test (MAT)
- In a certain code, MONKEY is written as XDJMNL. How is TIGER written in that code?
- In a queue Rekha is 9th from the back. Geeta’s place is 8th from the front. Rimya is standing between two. What could be the minimum number of girls standing in the queue?
- Which one of the four diagrams given below represents school, teachers and students?
Sample Questions for Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) LANGUAGE TEST
Language Test is designed to judge the power of reading comprehension, logical sequencing; interpretative, evaluative, predictive and creative components of language. The candidates may please carefully note that language test is to be attempted either in English or in Hindi (as per option of the candidate) in the national level NTSE.
Sample Questions in English Language
I. Read the following passage about the people of Coorg and answer the questions that follow.
The fiercely independent people of Coorg are possibly of Greek or Arab descent. As one story goes, a part of Alexander’s army moved south along the coast and settled here when return became impractical. These people married amongst the locals and their culture is apparent in the martial traditions, marriage and religious rites, which are distinct from the Hindu mainstream. The theory of Arab origin draws support from the long, black coat with an embroidered waist-belt worn by the Kodavus known as kuppia, it resembles the kuffia worn by the Arabs and the Kurds.
- The word ‘possibly’ means…1. The writer has good reasons to believe that the Coorgs are of Greek or Arab descent.2. The writer is not sure.
3. The writer is stating a fact.
4. The writer says that it is unlikely.
- Return became ‘impractical ‘ means
- The Greeks could not go back.
- The Greeks wanted to stay back.
- They found it difficult to go back.
- They found it frivolous to go back.
- ‘distinct from the Hindu mainstream’ means
4. The Arab origin of the Coorg implies
- How the Arab originated
- How the idea that the Coorgs are of Arab origin originated
- How a theory originated among Arabs
- Living in Coorg is same as living in Iraq
5. Find the adjective that describe the Coorg
3. Protective of their identity
II. The following five sentences come from a paragraph. First and last sentences are given. Choose from the given three sentences (P,Q,R) the order in which they appear to complete the paragraph.
S1 Many new government buildings in Delhi will have cool roofs
S5 A white wash of a dark roof is one cheap and simple option.
P This will help reduce energy use by air conditioners.
Q They will reflect sunlight and heat unlike conventional dark ones.
R Cool roofs do not require high level ‘rocket technology’.
Choose from the option given below.
III.Rearrange the words into meaningful sentences.
1. /we / since / my brother / in this place / have been living /was born. /
2. /are /many ways / theorem /where /a mathematical / can be/ proved./
3. /on/stay/ their seats / passengers/ has opened / conductor / door / requested/ are/ the / until/ the /
4. / before / diseases / known / 18th century / some / not / were / of / these / the/ common/
5. /cancer/ her / had / family/ knew/even/Anand/ but / did not / tell / he /his/
IV. Find the word which best completes the sentence.
1. Apart from the _____________ cough and cold, I have been remarkably healthy all my life.
2. Our hosts had prepared a ___________meal with five courses to celebrate our arrival.
V. There are different names for the word ‘storm’ depending on their nature. Choose from the box below which suits the definition of the word.
- A violent tropical storm in which strong winds move in a circle.
- An extremely strong wind.
- A violent tropical storm with very strong winds.
- A violent storm whose centre is a cloud in the shape of a funnel.
- A violent storm with very strong winds, especially in the western Atlantic ocean.
- A very strong wind that moves very fast in a spinning movement and causes a lot of damage.
VI. Choose the correct phrase from the given options to complete the sentences.
- It requires such depth of oppression ________________________1. not to create a fear.
2. to create such heights of character.
3. for a free country.
4. to lead to unpleasantness.
- Courage was not the absence of fear ______________________1. but the triumph over it.
2. but the fight over it.
3. but the feel of it.
4. but an act of self preservation.
Sample Questions in Social Sciences
- Trace the growth of different strands of National Movement in India in time sequence.
- Establishment of Depressed Classes Association
- Indian Industrial and Commercial Congress
- “Purna Swaraj”
- Non-cooperation and Khilafat Movement
- a, c, d, b
- d, b, c, a
- c, a d, b
- d, c, b, a
2. Match the natural vegetation in Column I with the State in Column II
Tropical Evergreen Forest
Tropical Deciduous Forest
Tropical Thorn Forest
- A2, B1, C3, D4
- A2, B3, C4, D1
- A2, B4, C3, D1
- A4, B2, C3, D1
3. Ford Motors, an MNC wants to invest in India for manufacturing automobiles because
- they can hire cheap labour.
- tax laws are very stringent.
- industrial licensing policy is applicable.
- foreign companies are regulated.
- I-B, II-D, III-C, IV-A
- I-C, II-D, III-B, IV-A
- I-C, II-B, III-A, IV-D
- I-A, II-C, III-B, IV-D
4. Which of the following situations is the example of violation of the Principle of ‘free and fair election’?
- A candidate openly supports reservation on the caste basis and gets overwhelming support of the voters of a particular caste.
- A party promises in its election manifesto that if it wins, it will make a policy to give every household a free TV set.
- A Leader declares that if his party forms the government it would waive the loans of small farmers.
- A candidate distributes motorcycles to all those who manage more than one hundred votes in his favour.
Sample Questions in Sciences and Mathematics
- An element ‘A’ reacts with oxygen to form a protective layer of compound ‘B’. The component ‘B’ is also obtained by the reaction of ‘A’ with rust. The compound ‘B’ is known to react both with acids and bases. Identify the element ‘A’.1. Silver
- In a fight and flight situation, adrenaline hormone is secreted to enable to deal with, the responses include:-
- Increase in blood supply to skeletal muscle and contraction of diaphragm.
- Increase in blood supply to digestive system and contraction of rib muscle.
- Supply of more oxygen to muscle and reduced blood supply to skin.
- Increase in heart beats, breathing rate and increase blood supply to digestive system.
- A & D
- A & C
- A horse pulls a carriage with a force P. Which two among the following statements are correct?
a) The carriage also pulls the horse back with a force P.
b) Since the carriage pulls the horse back with a equal force P, the system does not move at all.
c) The system moves because the horse can hit the ground with its hoofs; the horizontal component of whose reaction is greater than the total frictional and other forces of resistance offered by the ground.
d) The acceleration of the horse and the carriage are unequal.
1. a and b
2. a and c
3. a and d
4. c and d
- 4 ABCD is a quadrilateral, and AB2 + BC2 + CD2 + DA2 = AC2 + BD2. Then1. All angles of ABCD are equal.
2. All sides of ABCD are equal.
3. ABCD must be a parallelogram.
4. ABCD is a trapezium.
- There are two cups filled with equal amount of tea and coffee. A spoonful of coffee is first transferred from coffee-cup to the tea-cup and then a spoonful from the tea-cup is transferred to the coffee-cup, then
- Amount of tea in the coffee-cup is more than the amount of coffee in the tea-cup.
- Amount of coffee in the tea-cup is more than the amount of tea in the coffee-cup.
- Amount of coffee in the tea-cup is the same as the amount of tea in the coffee-cup.
- These amounts cannot be compared unless the volume of spoon and that of the cups are known.
Padhte Chalo, Badhte Chalo!
#PadhteChaloBadhteChalo is a free initiative by Eckovation (Team of IIT Delhi Graduates) to provide Quality Education to all the students for free. We’ve created a learning group for NTSE Preparation on Eckovation App, where you can get access to Quality Video Lectures, All India Level Practice Tests and a platform to discuss your doubts with educators 24×7.