Indeed a moment to cherish for Team Unnayan!
The highly energetic and spearheaded Mr Kundan Kumar (IAS), DM Banka, Bihar received Prime Minister’s Excellence Award in Public Administration today for the Unnayan Banka Project. The project aims at providing accessibility of Quality Education in the government schools of the district by effectively using Eckovation Platform (mobile based social learning platform) and existing ICT infrastructure. The focus of the Unnayan Banka Project is on ensuring continuous monitoring and accountability in the system and the approach is towards institutional building and ensuring sustainability through capacity building of teachers and administration.
Mr Kundan Kumar, DM – Banka, Bihar presenting Unnayan Banka Project in Vigyaan Bhavan on the 12th Civil Services Day
Model of Unnayan Banka Project | Mera Mobile, Mera Vidyalaya
The learning process used in the Unnyan Model involves audio-visual classrooms having animated and contextualised lectures followed by daily assessments. The first interaction with the students happens in the classroom, where they watch the videos screen casted on the television. The videos are kept super interactive (which is done by Eckovation’s technology of inserting interesting questions during the video at specific contextual points) which ensures a good level attentiveness from the students.
Only teaching a concept to the students doesn’t ensure that she has understood the concept well. The second important part of the model is assessment. The performance of students in the daily assessments gives the true parameter for evaluation of conceptual understanding. Based on the performance in daily assessments, students are given feedback on how to improve their weaknesses. This Adaptive Learning technique is based on Artificial Intelligence Technology.
The third part of the model is Doubt Discussions. If the students face any doubt at any point of preparation, she can discuss her doubts with a team of experts on Eckovation Platform.
Furthermore, the Eckovation platform facilitates AI based performance analysis of each and every student. The daily attendance and performance of students are uploaded on the Eckovation Platform to obtain overall performance analysis of students along with generation of report-card of each student. There are separate performance monitoring groups which bring the teachers, administrators and Eckovation support team on a single platform to discuss, evaluate and continually improve the education delivery scheme. This ensures that the students remain the ultimate beneficiary of the system and teachers are accorded due responsibility and accountability for their performance.
The different elements of Unnayan Banka Model includes:
- Public School Education: More than 3700 students from 40 schools of the district, and students from remotes areas learning from TV installed mobile van are preparing for Class 10 Bihar Board Examination.
- Evening Classes for Class XII Students (Crash Course): Unnayan initiative includes evening classes for 283 students preparing for Class 12 Bihar Board Examination. Many of these students below to economically constrained background and can’t afford high-paid private coaching available in Bhagalpur / Patna / Delhi /Kota.
- Advanced Technical Skills Training: Realising the need of skill training to ensure white-collared high paid jobs for these students, Advanced Skill Development Program (Bootcamp Session) was started under the Unnayan initiative. Today, students are learning higher software technical skills like designing websites, programming skills, android development, Machine Learning, Big Data Analytics and Internet of Things.
- Competitive Exam Preparation: Students prepare for highly competitive exams like SSC-CGL, Bank PO, UPSC, IIT JEE, NEET etc. on the Eckovation App.
Impact of the Unnayan Banka Model
The model has helped regain trust in the public schools of the district. The private tuitions and private schools has created an atmosphere of unaffordable Quality Education to the bottom of the pyramid. The initiative is providing quality education to all students while providing the same platform for discussion and hence bringing equality in terms of accessibility of quality education.
The measurable impact can be seen as below:
1. Improvement in Performance of Students: The daily performance of the students were uploaded on Eckovation platform which was analysed by AI based platform. This helped in the continuous monitoring of the performance of students. Students like Nazia Bano from PGHS Katoria, were not able to learn Science as a subject because of unavailability of teachers in the school. She could not afford Science tuitions as she comes from BPL family and her mother supports their livelihood by sewing clothes. She did not have much interest in studies and somewhere accepted the fact that she’ll also be working like her mother for daily wages. The Unnayan Session has helped her gain interest in studies with the help of animated and interactive video lectures and prepare well for the exams, and now her performance has increased meticulously from an average of 26% in the baseline test (conducted before starting the Unnayan Session) to an average of 94% in the analysis tests (conducted after completion of the Unnayan Session).
2. Impact on the Government School Teachers: The Unnayan Banka Initiative supplements the efforts of teachers and provide them with a platform to share and discuss the barriers in the implementation of the project directly with District Administration and Eckovation team. This has made the education system more inclusive and efficient in the district making teachers enthusiastic and responsible for their duties towards welfare of the students.
Rakhi Singh, a teacher from PGHS Katoria, has said it to me many a times that the Unnayan session has not only helped students in better understanding, but also the teachers in presenting many of the complex concepts to the students. Also, the post video Quiz discussion sessions with students have helped them relaize the strengths and weaknesses of the students.
3. Continuous monitoring and accountability in the education system: This initiative taken towards delivery of quality education and capacity building of students through mobile-based platform includes proper monitoring and evaluation framework to assess the success of initiative. The Eckovation platform facilitates AI based performance analysis of each and every student. The daily attendance and performance of students are uploaded on the Eckovation Platform to obtain overall performance analysis of students along with generation of report-card of each student. The accessibility of this evaluation is available to all the stakeholders bringing 100% transparency in the system.
4. Skill Development and Placement Drive for Students: Students are learning advanced technical skills (Bootcamp) like Website Designing, Programming Skills, Android Development etc along with General English, Reasoning and Aptitude skills.
Deepak Kumar Sah and other students of Banka has developed a website on Banka Tourism providing details of famous Mandar Hills and other panoramic sites in Banka
For the first time in district, more than 17 students received placement offers from Tata Consultancy Service and Suzuki based on their reasoning and aptitude, opening doors to the private sector for these students.
Mr Kundan Kumar said ” The Unnayan Banka Project is an initiative which envisages ‘Quality Education for All‘ especially at the bottom of the pyramid, using latest technologies. It’s a holistic model for overall development of youths from Education to Employability. Let’s each of us contribute to this initiative for Quality Education, making it Unnayan India.”